Are you pondering about taking the plunge into the planet of internet two. with your library and generating a wiki? I recently place with each other a prosperous wiki for my college library and so I would like to share some results ideas for how to do it successfully.
1. Which wiki platform are you going to use? This is critical because there are hundreds of them out there and they all vary in terms of ease of use, price, and setup as effectively as the potential to manage who can view your wiki as effectively as who can post to your wiki.
two. Do you want to use your wiki exclusively as a technique of organizing and changing material on your web page? Or do you want to use the wiki to enable your patrons to interact with each other?
3. What is the exact goal for your wiki? To communicate between library workers? To communicate with your patrons? To let your patrons communicate with every single other?
four. What content material are you going to incorporate on your wiki? Just hyperlinks to other pages on your library net web-site, a searchable library catalog, data about library classes and events, preferred books, news and announcements or other products?
5. Do hidden wiki want to pay for a wiki service or do you want to use a free of charge wiki?
6. Is there a tech support person readily available to help you install your wiki and to help with some periodic maintenance? If not, do you have a librarian who can take charge of the wiki and its updates and the technological side of sustaining a wiki? A wiki is a lot easier to use and maintain up with on a frequent web-site, having said that, you can not just put it up and never ever spend time working on it.
7. It also aids if you can create some wiki particular content. In our case we created subject pages for each and every of the major subjects taught at our college and incorporated hyperlinks to databases, magazines, books, ebooks, specialized encyclopedias and sites for each and every topic. We also have our library news and policies amongst other products of interest to our patrons on our wiki. You have to have to give your patrons a purpose to study the wiki and to use it.
8. Wikis are one particular of the technologies of the future and as far more and far more libraries and other organizations commence employing them, it is to your benefit to learn how to use a single and to choose if it is right for your library.